The Home Assistant at the Abbie Hunt Bryce Home provides compassionate, non-medical care to serve the terminally ill who reside in the Abbie Hunt Bryce Home, which is overseen by its nonprofit parent, Morning Light. This position also performs various tasks that support overall Home operations. The Home, located in Indianapolis and serving Central Indiana, is one of only a dozen in the United States that provides free living arrangements for terminally ill hospice patients of limited means.
Mission: Morning Light fosters non-profit, community services and programs in central Indiana for the terminally ill, seniors, and families of limited means in need of health, wellness or end of life care.
Vision: Morning Light seeks to be a recognized leader in operating and supporting select health and wellness services for the underserved population of central Indiana.
- CNA or HHA certification.
- Six months or more experience in a residential care setting or in serving the terminally ill.
- Empathic attitude toward the care of the terminally ill.
- Good communication skills and a positive attitude to promote the Home’s mission.
- Ability to multi task and work independently.
- Must be trustworthy and maintain confidentiality.
- Delivers resident support according to Home policies and procedures.
- Adheres to residents' plans of care as established by hospice and/or medical provider.
- Observes resident condition and reports significant changes to supervisor and appropriate hospice.
- Documents support given to residents as directed by supervisor.
- Writes notes for each resident in log at the end of each shift.
- Assists with resident self-care including, but not limited to: bath or shower; shampoo; mouth care; shaving; skin care; limited hair care; nail care (if not diabetic); turning and positioning; ambulation; changing linens; toileting; and observation of medication self-administration.
- Provides resident support respectfully and in a timely manner as directed.
- Monitors Home rules including policies for smoking, visitors, telephone use, and other rules as established.
- Assists with laundry, meal preparation, cleanup, and serving as necessary.
- Performs housekeeping duties according to posted schedule including vacuuming, dusting, mopping, kitchen and bathroom cleaning, and other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- Maintains good personal hygiene and conducts self in polite and professional manner.
- Evaluates own professional needs and provides suggestions to meet these needs such as inservices or other continuing education, as well as participation in agency committees and meetings as assigned.
- Accepts assignments without regard to socio-economic status, disease, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or religion.
- Participates in Home staff meetings as assigned.
- Complies with Home policies and procedures regarding therapeutic relationships with residents.
- Must have visual, hearing and mental ability to initiate and comprehend written and verbal communication
- Requires manual dexterity and mobility to operate and access assigned facility, clinical, and office equipment
- Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity such as heavy listing up to 50 pounds; extensive bending and standing; climbing three flights of stairs; and maintaining calm in emergency situations
- Must successfully undergo annual TB test and receive flu shots
This is an hourly position reporting to the Abbie Hunt Bryce Home Operations Manager.
None required; may assist in volunteer oversight.
To apply, click here. Email completed application to email@example.com.